Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The bigger picture

First off, if you're visiting from Ashely Ann's blog,  

Welcome!!

So glad you've stopped by!



If you're not and you haven't been over there yet, head on over, cuz otherwise, this might not make as much sense as it should.   :)

I shared a few pictures today at Ashley's in which I thought you might like to see the bigger picture.
—yes, this time "bigger picture" is being used literally. Hope you weren't expecting some motivational post about life, difficult times and the future!  :)

I had tried to capture the items that I showed in a unique way or to focus on the details of everyday objects. However, that might have left a few people scratching their heads on what the object actually was or looked like.

So, here you are:
 There's nothing "special" about it. 
But I love it just the same.  :)
In case you were curious about my favorite books, I have to admit to reading and re-reading Tolkien's Lord of the Rings very regularly. I first read them in high school and have been hooked since then. In fact, in college, I took a class title "The Mythology of Middle Earth". 
Seriously.
Granted, I went to an art school and we could do things like that, but still—I had to read some of my favorite books for school, that I probably would have read anyway. 
Tough, eh?

Then there's Harry Potter. 
Geez. 
I am literally sad when I finish reading the series because I feel like I've said goodbye to some of my best friends. (should I admit that?)

I will tell you that I was very stubborn in my resolve to not like Harry Potter. I didn't want to be one of those people who liked something just because it was trendy.

Then in the summer of 2005 I did an internship in the San Francisco area and found myself hanging out at book stores quite often. That was the same summer that book 6, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, was coming out. Thus, bookstores and anyplace else where it was remotely relevant were covered in anything and everything Harry Potter related. 

Finally, I could hold out no longer. 
I picked up the first book, found a comfy chair and decided to see what all this Potter madness was about.

I didn't leave until I finished the book.

Instant addict. 

I immediately purchased all the released books in the series and headed home to do some serious catching up.

If you haven't read them, I really suggest giving them a try. They are REALLY well-written books. Not just entertaining books (although they are that as well).

Finally, we come to my all-time favorite. 
Or should I say favourite?

ANYTHING by Jane Austen. 
Particularly Pride & Prejudice. 
Can anyone say Mr. Darcy????

If I have to explain this one, then you clearly have never read any of her work. 
However, I will leave you with this:

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than women, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you, never inconstant." ( Persuasion, chapter 23)

Um, . . .swoon!!
Last but not least!
My Dad made this for me years ago and I still LOVE it.
Isn't he good??

For those of you who are very curious and a bit handy with woodworking tools, I'll be letting you in on the secret of how it was made very soon.

How's that for a bit of enticement?

Well, I hope you enjoyed these and again, if you haven't read the post at Ashley Ann's do so to see the rest of the items and the original pictures of these 3!

xoxo Lori Danelle

11 comments:

  1. i love love harry potter too.. if i had gone to a school that offered a class about i would've taken it. ive read them so many times and i still get a little sad in the 7th book. i've been considering reading the lord of the rings series instead of rereading potter and i think you just convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came over from Ashley's. I love your blog! And I'm always thankful for "validation" for my tendency to re-read books (including P&P, S&S and HP as well!). I know there are so many great books out there to read in my lifetime, but I'm so glad I'm not alone! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of those books, Lori... who knew? There are sentences in the Lord of the Rings trilogy that I have to read over and over again because they are so beautifully orchestrated, they are like music to my eyes, if that makes sense.

    Love that you showed the "big picture" photos on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori,
    I've actually just come over from Ashley's blog and haven't gotten farther than this post, but already feel like I need to leave a comment. Good sign, I guess. :)
    I absolutely agree with your choice of favourite books (although I still need to read Sense and Sensibility, somehow that one managed to avoid me so far...), love Jane Austen's characters, especially the funny ones (think Miss Bates from Emma! How hilarious is she?), and as far as the matter of being reluctant to hopping on the Potter-Train is concerned: I understand, and back when the series started to become big (like, real BIG), I spoke to many people who actually felt the same way as you did. But I eventually realized that liking something because everyone else does is just about as "too convenient" as disliking something that everyone else likes. I think one just needs to judge anything on one's own, ignoring the general opinion or trends. And think of what you would have missed! Being some kind of a writer myself, I still admire Rowling's plotting skills. When I'm stuck with my story, I frequently ask myself: What would J.K. do? :D
    So much for me, I think I've gone a little over the top here...
    Love, Vicky from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love Pride and prejudice...haven't taken the Harry Potter plunge, but I might now. And talk about hook, line and sinker...I gotta see how those tree stump drawers were made!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting from Ashley's blog! Loved your post and loving your blog...I feel like I could paint everything turquoise too! :) I'm definitely following now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!

    Visiting from Ashley Ann's!

    So happy to have found your blog!

    Loves for Harry Potter?
    Check.
    Loves for Jane Austen?
    Check.
    Loves for that adorable chair?
    Check.

    I like it over here.

    Think I'm gonna start visiting regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI! Glad I found you, cute blog!!:) And were neighbors practically I live in Smyrna, Tn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I absolutly LOVE that wood drawers thing :)!!!!
    it is amazing, your dad is an artist!!

    I, like kirra sue, am gonna start visiting regularly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new here from Ashley Ann's blog, glad I found you! I share that same exact list of faves, minus the Lord of the Rings--maybe I just need to give that a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your old blue chair. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad that you've stopped by this blog & I LOVE hearing your feedback and questions — however, as this blog is no longer active I may not see it!! But no worries! I've moved all content from this blog to my new website and would appreciate it if you visited me over there: Lori Danelle.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails